Friday, January 29, 2010

Ratatouille

Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core.
- Anton Ego

Inspired by our resolution to eat healthier, I decided to spice up our vegetable repertoire by breaking away from our usual steamed broccoli with chopped tomatoes and feta cheese or some sort of salad - Caesar and spinach. I found this recipe in Better Home and Gardens New Cook Book Celebrating the Promise Limited Edition.


Start to finish: 40 minutes
Makes: 4 servings (aka 2 meals for us)


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced I used 3 cloves; I love garlic!
  • 3 cups cubed, peeled eggplant I bought 1 giant eggplant
  • 1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices (1 1/2 cups) I bought 2 yellow summer squash
  • 1 cup chopped, peeled tomato (2 medium) or one 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained I used a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes that I forgot to drain
  • 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 medium)
  • 3 tablespoons dry white wine, chicken broth, or vegetable broth Found some white wine laying around
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt Salted to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper Peppered to taste
  • 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or oregano Used dried basil instead
In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in eggplant, zucchini, tomato, sweet pepper, wine, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover and cook about 5 minutes more or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with additional salt and black pepper. Stir in basil just before serving.



It was a delicious meal! I paired it with chicken topped with Parmesan cheese and green apples and brie cheese. Yummy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment