Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cool Southwestern Salad with Corn and Avocado

This is another delicious vegetarian meal that I made a while ago. Its from the Real Simple Best Recipes: Easy Delicious Meals. We ate this for dinner and the following day I ate it for lunch with a tortilla (a tip that was in the book). So good! And super easy! 


Hands on time: 20 minutes    Total time: 20 minutes    Serves: 4

Ingredients:
2 small heads romaine lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces (about 12 cups)  I used Organics romaine lettuce from Safeway
1 cup corn kernels (cut from 1-2 ears, or frozen and thawed)  I used the left over frozen corn from the Vegetarian Tacos
2 avocados, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 15.5 oz can of pinto beans, rinsed  I used fresh pinto beans (we have a huge bag!), soaked them over night, boiled them for 1 hour on low heat
1/2 red onion  I made it raw, but next time I'll caramelize it a little. Trevor and I are not fans of raw onions
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Kosher salt and black pepper  I used regular salt
1/2 9 oz bag tortilla chips  I used Organics corn tortilla chips from Safeway. So good! The best tortilla chips I've ever had and I'm not a big fan of tortilla chips.

1. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, corn, avocados, beans, onion, and cilantro. 
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, cumin, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Drizzle over the salad and gently toss. Serve with the tortilla chips.


We paired it with some frozen Costco chicken. Mmm! yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment